Harvest, er, Wednesday

We went to Perth for a week to visit the in-laws, so it was exciting to come home and see how BIG everything had gotten. And how many caterpillars had infested the brassica bed (hint: LOTS). Our garden path is now coated with the green smears of ex-caterpillars.

The peas are starting to make peas, and the carrots are starting to thicken. All the garlic is up, and the lime tree is covered in blossom. The garden is growing!

Last night I harvested chioggia beetroot, celery, radishes, lettuce, and parsley to go in a salad, as well as a few sticks of rhubarb which we had stewed with ice-cream for dessert.

photo 2-12

photo 3-9

Summer

photo 1

The studio is finished! Michael is moving in as I write this. We did all the finishing ourselves – painted and installed the bamboo floor. We’re really pleased with it. (for anyone who’s interested, these guys built it for us).

The garden, however, is far from finished. We’re waiting on someone to come and level out the soil and lay a path, then we can start to rehabilitate the lawn, and install the veggie gardens. We missed the summer crops, but all going well I should get everything in time for winter.

The heat hasn’t been good to my potted plants. I spent a few weeks shuffling pots into the shade on super-hot days, and then out into the sun once it cooled down a bit. Sometimes I was too late – I lost a few plants. Nearly lost my apricot tree, but managed to resuscitate it. Nothing’s gotten enough water. However, I have been getting a handful of tomatoes – lots of Green Zebra and Tommy Toe, and the occasional Wapsipinicon Peach. The Ananas Noir are currently ripening.

photo 2

Harvest Monday: Experimental Potatoes

Back in July, I found two wrinkly, sprouting potatoes at the back of our cupboard, leftover from a Ceres veggie box. Despite it being totally the wrong time of year to plant potatoes, I stuck them in a pot, covered them with soil, straw and manure, and then left them alone. They popped up very quickly, and were perfectly happy until most of them were destroyed by hail and wind. But a few bits of greenery survived, so I continued to leave them alone, until today.

photo-2

Eight big ones, eight medium ones, and 14 babby ones. We shall feast on potato salad tonight!

For more Harvest Monday goodness, head over to Daphne’s Dandelions.

Harvest Monday: GARLIC

photo 2-2

Here it all is! I have learnt some good lessons for next time. I planted all the cloves I had, instead of just the fat ones. This led to lots of small heads of garlic. Next time I shall plant in raised beds where the soil is more fluffy, and only the fattest cloves.

photo 1-2

The Purple Monaro was by far the most productive. But all in all, a pretty good first garlic effort, I think! I’m going to cure and plait the nice fat heads, and peel and freeze the rest.

Head over to Daphne’s Dandelions for more Harvest Mondays.

Roses and garlic

photo 1-1

Spring is such an exciting time in the garden. The bare sticks that we put into the ground in winter have turned into roses! They have the most gorgeous citrusy scent.

And I have pulled a couple of experimental garlic plants. Some are nice and fat, and others are small and weedy. But they’ve all fallen over and look very sad and limp, so I think I’ll harvest them this weekend.  Or should I wait? They’re not getting much sun now, as the raspberry bushes have leapt up.

photo 2-1

The concrete for the studio is being poured next week!

Taters

photo 1

Studio Update: it is pegged out. Now we are waiting for the concreter. I’m not going to meet my target of having the raised beds in by Cup Day, but hopefully some time in December, so it won’t be too late for a summer crop of tomatoes and capsicums. Fingers crossed!

I’m a bit late planting potatoes, but our summers seem to be dragging on into April these days, so I’m sure there’ll be plenty of time to make some nice fat tubers. I’m growing in two potato grow bags, using a Diggers combo pack that I’m splitting with my mum. So seven different varieties – Nicola, Pink Fir, Pink Eye, Royal Blue, Low Carb, Dutch Cream and Malin.

I mixed sugarcane mulch, compost and manure, and added rockdust, coffee grinds and potash. Filled the bags about 1/2 way and planted my spuds between 10-20cm deep. Now we wait.

photo 2

photo-2